- This event has passed.
Kishwaukee Fen Workday – McHenry County
September 24 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Join in the joyful care of this beautiful site.
No experience necessary! We learn through actively taking part in this important work. Lovers of nature, lovers of life, lovers of learning, and the curious-minded — all are welcome! Share this with anyone you think might be interested.
We'll meet at the end of Palmer Drive in the Village of Lakewood at 9am. We'll work until about 12pm.
Let us know you’re coming by responding to this email: email@example.com. By knowing how many people to expect we will have a better idea of how many extra tools and (most important) snacks to bring.
PS: Tips for safe and enjoyable eco-restoration at Kish Fen:
- Bring plenty of water
- Wear long sleeves and long pants – dressing in layers is helpful
- Footwear – old sturdy shoes or boots, waterproof if you want to hunt loosestrife in the fen
- Leather work gloves or heavy garden gloves (though we will bring extra for anyone in need)
- Hat – sun and branch protection
- Sunglasses or eye protection if you work on brush
Bring a hand saw, loppers, rake if you have them. We will have extra tools for you to use.
Things to know before you come:
- If you are not fully vaccinated, wear a mask if unable to social distance from others at the site.
- Bring water and a snack. Dress for the wilderness – this should include sturdy boots or shoes, a hat, bug spray, and sunscreen. Long pants and a long sleeve shirt are suggested.
- We work hard, but at our own pace, and we often take breaks to share snacks and share ideas and nature with each other.
If you are attending a workday at a nature preserve owned by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, please complete and bring the IDNR Volunteer Waiver to the workday when you attend.
If you have any questions, please contact Amy at 779-212-2785 or firstname.lastname@example.org