- This event has passed.
Kishwaukee Fen Workday – McHenry County
March 19 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
If you are able to lend a helping hand in our quest to support the fen and all it brings to Lakewood and McHenry County, then come have a great time working hard with others who understand how much this fragile ecosystem needs our help.
You DO NOT need experience in restoration! The best way to learn anything is hands-on. The Kish Friends do this by showing, explaining, modeling, sharing.
We will include a break so we can catch our breath and enjoy the surroundings together. Bring a snack if you’d like. Some of us will bring snacks to share.
We’ll meet at the end of Palmer Drive in the Village of Lakewood
Let us know you’re coming by responding to this email: email@example.com. By knowing how many people to expect we will have a better idea of how many extra tools and (most important) snacks to bring.
PS: Tips for safe and enjoyable eco-restoration at Kish Fen:
- Bring plenty of water
- Wear long sleeves and long pants – dressing in layers is helpful
- Footwear – old sturdy shoes or boots, waterproof if you want to hunt loosestrife in the fen
- Leather work gloves or heavy garden gloves (though we will bring extra for anyone in need)
- Hat – sun and branch protection
- Sunglasses or eye protection if you work on brush
Bring a hand saw, loppers, rake if you have them. We will have extra tools for you to use.
Things to know before you come:
- If you are not fully vaccinated, wear a mask if unable to social distance from others at the site.
- Bring water and a snack. Dress for the wilderness – this should include sturdy boots or shoes, a hat, bug spray, and sunscreen. Long pants and a long sleeve shirt are suggested.
- We work hard, but at our own pace, and we often take breaks to share snacks and share ideas and nature with each other.
If you are attending a workday at a nature preserve owned by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, please complete and bring the IDNR Volunteer Waiver to the workday when you attend.
If you have any questions, please contact Amy at 779-212-2785 or firstname.lastname@example.org