Friends of Illinois Nature Preserves seek a Regional Field Representative (“Field Rep”) for Northeastern Illinois. The Field Rep’s main duties will be to (1) develop new model efforts in the region, (2) recruit and empower volunteer leaders to new and existing volunteer communities, (3) support networking among existing volunteer communities, (4) identify new partnerships and resources, and (5) use mass and social media to celebrate and promote biodiversity conservation and individual and organizational successes and leadership.
The Field Rep will lead and teach through regular “workday” events at needy Nature Preserve sites, where new stewards will perform stewardship tasks like brush-cutting, invasive weed control, and seed harvesting and broadcast where needed. The main focus of the Field Rep at such meetups will be to foster a culture of communal leadership and learning. The Field Rep will transmit key stewardship skills such as planning and work leadership, plant and animal identification, and group organizing with a view toward establishing a thriving volunteer community at each site. Finding additional resources and
facilitating new partnerships between Friends, conservation landowners, volunteer communities, and other conservation organizations in the region will also be areas of focus for the Field Rep. Read a more complete job description here.
To support the Illinois Nature Preserves System by finding increased volunteer support, resources, and funding for the Preserves and by training local volunteer leaders to restore and care for biodiversity reserves.
• A friendly, supportive, and collaborative approach is the best way to ensure long-term,
• All people of Illinois are impacted by the loss of biodiversity.
• Friends are committed to biodiversity conservation that follows science-driven ecological principles.
• Connecting people to land and nature best ensures sustainably long-term conservation.
• Working in partnership with preserve owners – state and local governments, conservation organizations, and individuals – is important for the sustainability of the Nature Preserve system.
• The rapid development of work-learn-lead volunteers fosters competent volunteer leaders and catalysts that are welcomed and supported as partners with government staff.
• Every child in Illinois should have the opportunity to discover nature, which includes the State’s prairies, dunes, forests, savannas, and wetlands.
• A diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization is a stronger organization. We accept and facilitate everyone and aspire “to look like Illinois.”
• Personal commitment to and knowledge of biodiversity conservation.
• Ability to build teams and collaborate and work with others in a friendly and supportive manner.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Strong social and interpersonal skills
• Positive attitude, a self-starter, and patient when needed.
• Working knowledge of Illinois ecology and land management and stewardship issues.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• Willingness to take prescribed burn training as needed and other trainings as needed.
Compensation & Benefits:
• Salary: $25-$27/hour ($52,000 to $55,890 annually) dependent upon qualifications
• Vacation: 2 weeks paid vacation
• Monthly health insurance stipend
• Very limited overnight travel will be required; Typical travel to a worksite is 35-50 miles; a personal vehicle is to be used, and employee will be given a vehicle stipend. Small equipment eg; chain saws, backpack sprayers, and supplies, will be carried in the personal vehicle. To attend public meetings or assignments outside of the NE Illinois work area, the mileage reimbursement is the federal reimbursement rate per mile after the first 35 miles of the round trip.
• It is expected that this individual will live in Northeast Illinois and will work in a hybrid capacity (from home and in the field). Field Rep will provide internet service and a smartphone for communication and field data collection (monthly cell phone stipend provided).
• Friends will provide the Field Representative with a laptop or tablet.
• Friends will supply all tools and materials used by the Field Representative and volunteers that are used in field work.
Send a cover letter and resume to Amy Doll, email@example.com. Review of candidates will begin September 30, 2022. Position will remain open until filled.
Contact Amy at 779-212-2785 or firstname.lastname@example.org.